Release Notes for Rocky Linux 8.7¶
The minimal ISO does not contain the AppStream repository. This means that packages that come from AppStream will be absent after an install using the Minimal ISO. Examples of such packages include - rsyslog, policycoreutils-python-utils and so on. This is not a bug and is to be expected.
Upgrading From Any Rocky Linux 8 Version¶
sudo dnf -y upgrade
As well as the normal install images, there are several images available for new and existing cloud platforms.
In between Rocky Linux 8.6 and 8.7, images for Oracle Cloud Platform (OCP) were developed and released. The Oracle images join our existing set of images including GenericCloud, Amazon AWS (EC2), Container RootFS/OCI, Vagrant (Libvirt, VirtualBox, and VMWare), Google Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure, and other CSP-maintained images.
Additionally, The GenericCloud, EC2, and Azure images now have a variant which uses an LVM partition for the root filesystem, allowing systems administrators additional flexibility and options for configuring their systems.
More information on the artifacts produced by the Cloud Special Interest Group, as well as information on how to get involved can be found on the SIG/Cloud Wiki page.
There are no known issues currently found in 8.7. We will add them here later if they show up after the release.
For a complete list of major changes, please see the upstream listing here.
Below are some highlights.
- Network Security Services (NSS) no longer supports RSA keys shorter than 1023 bits.
clevis-luks-askpassis now enabled by default.
fapolicydrebased to 1.1.3
This release modifies the
scap-security-guide so that it is better aligned with DISA. For more information on this and other security related changes, see the upstream document
- SCAP Security Guide (SSG) rebased to 0.1.63 along with several other changes relating to SSG and DISA STIG.
Shells and command-line Tools¶
xmlstarlet- a new tool that provides a simple set of command-line utilities for parsing XML files.
opencryptokiupdated to 3.18.0
powerpc-utilsupdated to 1.3.10
libvaupdated to 2.13.0
- NetworkManager rebased to 1.40. For notable changes see the upstream release notes here.
- NetworkManager now stores the DHCP lease information in the
Filesystem And Storage¶
nfsraheadhas been added. Can be used to modify
readaheadvalue for NFS mounts, and thus affect the NFS read performance.
rpcctlcommand now displays SunRPC connection information.
multipath.confcan now include protocol-specific configuration overrides in DM Multipath
Dynamic Programming Languages, Web and Database Servers¶
Later versions of the following components are now available as new module streams:
mariadb-java-clientrebased to version 2.7.1
redisrebased to 6.2.7
- A new default for the
For more on these changes, visit the upstream page dealing with these changes.
chronyupdated to 4.2
unboundupdated to 1.16.2
Compilers And Development Tools¶
Changes Related to Processors and Machines¶
libpfmnow supports AMD Zen 2 and Zen 3 processors
papinow supports AMD Zen 2 and Zen 3 processors
- Improved hardware identification for ARM processors
LLVM gold pluginis now available on the IBM Z architecture
GCC Toolset 12¶
- Annobin rebased to version 10.79
binutilsrebased to version 2.38
- GCC 12 and later supports
- GDB rebased to version 11.2
- New module stream
- DNS stub resolver option now supports
- Rust Toolset rebased to version 1.62.1
- LLVM Toolset rebased to version 14.0.0
- SSSD now supports memory caching for SID requests
- IdM now supports configuring an AD Trust with Windows Server 2022
- IdM now indicates whether a given name is a user or a group in a trusted AD domain during a name search
sambarebased to version 4.16.1
- SSSD now supports direct integration with Windows Server 2022
- open-vm-tools rebased to 12.0.5
- ESXi hypervisor and SEV-ES is now fully supported
Please report any bugs you encounter to the Rocky Linux Bug Tracker. We also welcome you to join our community in any way you wish be it on our Forums, Mattermost, IRC on Libera.Chat, Reddit, Mailing Lists, or any other way you wish to participate!